enquiries@jarmans-solicitors.co.uk 01795 472 291

Landlords (Residential) - Jarmans Solicitors

Landlords (Residential)

Tenancy disputes can be difficult to deal with, so getting the right legal advice is essential for any landlord considering taking legal action against their tenants.


Jarmans Solicitors have the specialist knowledge that you need to help you navigate tenancy disputes, landlord responsibilities, and tenancies.

Drawing up a lease

Ensuring that you have a well drafted lease in place can help to protect against potential tenancy disputes. We always recommend that you get legal advice when creating any legally binding documents, particularly if they relate to a significant investment like property. The majority of residential leases in the UK are known as Assured Shorthold Tenancies, which require a minimum lease term of 6 months.

Assistance in recovering possession of your property

Tenants are covered by the Protection from Eviction Act 1977. This means that landlords are unable to enter a property that they have leased and carry out an eviction without first obtaining an Order for Possession from a court.  However, Landlords cannot force entry based on the Order of Possession without an appointment with either the County Court Bailiff under a warrant of possession or a High Court Enforcement Officer under a writ.

If a lease term has expired a landlord can first request possession through a Notice Requiring Possession and the tenant should be given two months’ notice.

If the tenancy began on or after 1st October 2015, notice of possession cannot be given until the tenant has been provided with certain information which includes a Gas Safety Certificate, an Energy Performance Certificate, the Government How to Rent Booklet, and details of the rent deposit scheme where their deposit is retained/and or protected. This is why it’s important to obtain legal advice when drawing up a lease.

If you have given a Notice Requiring Possession and your tenant hasn’t responded, you will need to ask a county court local to the property to issue an Order for Possession. This can be a lengthy process as you are required to submit an application to the court and then await a date for a Possession Hearing. You will also be required to attend the hearing.  A standard Order for Possession is 14 days, but be aware that the Court can postpone the date for possession by up to 42 days if it believes that vacating your property within 14 days will cause “excessive hardship”.

At this stage we also recommend that you consider enforcement of the order and that a request is made for permission to transfer your claim to the High Court to ensure that you are able to pursue an effective method of enforcing your Order.

If your tenant still fails to vacate your property, the Order for Possession then becomes enforceable through a Warrant of Possession in the County Court or by a Writ of Possession in the High Court. Landlords must apply for these before they can regain possession of their property.

Leasing out a property and regaining possession of it can be a complex, and sometimes bewildering, process which is why Jarmans always recommend obtaining good, experienced legal advice.

If you are considering leasing out a property or are in a dispute with your tenants, contact our litigation team today.

Need help?

If you would like to contact us or book a consultation with a member of our team please fill in the ‘Make an Enquiry’ form or call us on 01795 472 291 or email enquiries@jarmans-solicitors.co.uk


Contact Us


    How We've Helped People

    • Execllent!!

    From the moment I instructed Jarmans Solicitors I felt confident this would be a quick and seemless purchase, unlike my previous Solicitors! Sonia Thrower in particular was amazing at keeping me updated throughout.


    • Execllent!!

    We have just successfully purchased our first home with the help from Sonia Thrower at Jarmans. We are very impressed with the service that we received, at first we were quite worried as the person that was given our case had left and Sonia took over at very early stages. With our purchase it was very different to normal as we also had land attached to our property where it started to get a little confusing with title numbers etc


    • Execllent!!

    Jarmans Solicitors are friendly, welcoming and very Professional. Great attention to detail, wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Thank you to Julia for all your help.


    • Execllent!!

    “Good morning Kendra, I wish to thank you for acting so brilliantly on my behalf; your calm, knowledgeable, compassionate approach reassured me and gave me confidence with the decisions I made (as a result of your counsel) during a difficult and challenging time.  I have appreciated the regular phone calls and timely communications from you, it has been a privilege to work with you and I am happy with the outcome you have worked to achieve for me.  As you are aware, what happened



    Discover Helpful Articles

    Separated Parents and Handling Contact Arrangements for

    Christmas is supposed to be a time of joy, happiness and

    5 Common Myths About Civil Litigation Debunked

    There are many misconceptions about civil litigation that can prevent individuals

    Everything You Need to Know About Civil

    Civil litigation is a legal process in which two or more

    Top 3 Mistakes to Avoid When Filing

    Filing a civil litigation claim can be a complex and intimidating

    Contact Us

    Get In Touch

    Why not arrange a chat with a team member to discuss your Personal or Commercial legal needs? Do not hesitate to contact Jarmans Solicitors on: 01795 472 291 alternatively fill in the form below and we'll get back to you asap.