Personal Solictiors
Dissolving a Civil Partnership

Need advice on Dissolving a Civil Partnership?

What we do
Help with Dissolving a Civil Partnership

Civil Partnerships provide couples with most of the rights that married couples enjoy.

This means that registered couples in a civil partnership receive the following rights:

  • An obligation to financially support each other and the children of the family
  • They are obliged to pay child support
  • Parties in Civil Partnerships are protected from domestic violence
  • An exception on Inheritance Tax on property passed between partners
  • The partnership is recognised under inheritance and testacy rules
  • Entitlement to pass on bereavement benefits and benefits from occupational pensions to the surviving partners
  • Access to fatal accident compensation

If you and your civil partner find yourselves in the position where you believe that your relationship has irretrievably broken down you need to apply for a formal dissolution process through the courts. This process is very similar to divorce proceedings and you will need to prove one of the following as grounds for the dissolution:

  • your partner has behaved unreasonably
  • you and your partner have lived apart for two years, and that you both agreed to the dissolution
  • you and your partner have lived apart for at least five years, if only one of you agrees to the dissolution
  • your partner deserted you at least two years ago

Jarmans Solicitors always recommend that you obtain legal advice from an experienced family solicitor, particularly where children and property are involved. Our team will guide you through the process, working with you to achieve an amicable break up wherever possible.

In the same way that a divorce processes through the courts, you will first need to complete a civil partnership dissolution petition which sets out the details of your civil partnership, any children, other parties, and the grounds for the dissolution. Once this is completed, the court will stamp it and send a copy to your civil partner. They will then have seven days to respond. If your civil partner decides to contest the dissolution they will have a further twenty-one days to Answer at court.

If a dissolution of a civil partnership runs smoothly and uncontested it can take between four and six months to formally end the partnership and gain your Final Order.

If you are considering ending your civil partnership contact our team of highly experienced family law practitioners to get solid and pragmatic advice on your next steps.

We offer a free, 15-minute, pre-bookable phone call with one of our experienced family law team. Alternatively, we offer a fixed £120 fee inc VAT  for a 45-minute meeting with one of our highly experienced family team. If you would like some confidential advice about a family legal issue, contact us today to book a meeting.

Need help

If you are considering Dissolving a Civil Partnership we can help. If you would like to contact us or book a consultation with a member of our team please fill in the 'Make an Enquiry' form or call us on 01795 472291 or email

Make an Enquiry
By filling out this form, you agree to the terms laid out in our privacy policy
Thank you!
Your submission has been received, one of our team members will be in touch soon.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

How We've Helped People

Chris took the time to explain several items and offered some very good advice. I will definitely use them again.


Excellent service here. Needed a one off legal document and they were able to accommodate us the next day. We were given good advice. Highly recommend.

Read More
news sign up

Keep Up To Date

By filling out this form, you agree to the terms laid out in our privacy policy
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Google Maps Generator by

How to Find Us

Jarmans Solicitors Second Floor,
Bell House, Bell Road,
Sittingbourne, Kent,
ME10 4DH.

Ask a Question
Find us on Google Maps
Jarmans solicitors Jarmans solicitors Jarmans solicitors
Jarmans solicitors
Ask a Question