Personal Solictiors
Leasehold Extensions

Need advice on a Leasehold Extensions?

What we do
Leasehold Extensions Overview

Jarmans Solicitors are here to help you with Leasehold Extensions

For owners of leasehold properties, the option of extending the long lease on a property can have numerous financial benefits. Aside from potentially increasing the value of the leasehold title, it also comes with the benefit of reducing the ground rent on the property to nil (also known as ‘peppercorn rent’).

The Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993, makes it possible for anyone who has owned a long-term lease for longer than 2 years, to add an additional 90 years to anything that is left on the existing lease. In exchange for a premium, landlords are obliged to offer lease extensions to any leasehold owners who follow the correct procedure.

In any instance where you may be considering extending your lease, it is important that you instruct and engage a solicitor to represent you. You will also need an independent surveyor. You should also begin this process before the remaining lease falls below 80 years as this triggers a higher premium payment to your landlord. Your surveyor will be required to create a formal valuation report, which is key to deciding the amount of premium payable to your landlord.

Once you have received the valuation report, your solicitor then submits a Section 42 Notice to your landlord, stating your wish to extend your lease and the independent valuation of the extension. By law, landlords have 2 months to commission their own valuation survey, which you will be required to pay for, and serve their counter-notice. This will contain their valuation of the lease extension, the premium they require and any other lease terms. They can also request a deposit. At this point, both parties can then enter negotiations, which can last over a 6-month period leading to the drafting of the new lease, payment of the rest of the premium, and registration of the lease extension at the Land Registry.

What happens if you can’t come to an agreement?

If you and your landlord can’t come to an agreement within the 6-month window, your solicitor will then refer the case to the First-tier Property Tribunal who will then review the evidence and decide on the premium that needs to be paid.

What if my landlord is unknown or missing?

If you have tried your best to locate your landlord to no avail, you need to apply to the County Court for a vesting order. This then enables you to refer the matter to the First-Tier Property Tribunal who then decide the premium required for a lease extension.

Jarmans Solicitors have a wealth of experience in negotiating lease extensions and work hard to ensure that the process is as smooth as possible. If you are considering extending your lease or are concerned that you can’t track down your landlord, contact our team for a consultation.

Need help

We offer legal advice for Leasehold Extensions. If you would like to contact us or book a consultation with a member of our team please fill in the 'Make an Enquiry' form or call us on 01795 472291 or email

Make an Enquiry
By filling out this form, you agree to the terms laid out in our privacy policy
Thank you!
Your submission has been received, one of our team members will be in touch soon.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

How We've Helped People

Chris took the time to explain several items and offered some very good advice. I will definitely use them again.


Excellent service here. Needed a one off legal document and they were able to accommodate us the next day. We were given good advice. Highly recommend.

Read More
news sign up

Keep Up To Date

By filling out this form, you agree to the terms laid out in our privacy policy
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Google Maps Generator by

How to Find Us

Jarmans Solicitors Second Floor,
Bell House, Bell Road,
Sittingbourne, Kent,
ME10 4DH.

Ask a Question
Find us on Google Maps
Jarmans solicitors Jarmans solicitors Jarmans solicitors
Jarmans solicitors
Ask a Question