enquiries@jarmans-solicitors.co.uk 01795 472 291

Wills FAQ - Jarmans Solicitors

Wills FAQ

Making the decision to write a will can raise a lot of questions and worries. To put your mind at ease, the team at Jarmans Solicitors have answered some of our most frequently asked questions about Wills.

Unfortunately, if you die without a will and are unmarried but living with your partner, your partner wouldn’t receive any of your estate. Under intestacy rules, your estate would go to your legal next of kin, which could be your parents or siblings.

This is why it’s important to have a Will in place if you share a home with a long-term partner or buy a home with someone.

We always recommend that married couples each have a Will. This is for a variety of reasons. Firstly, by both having Wills you can ensure that each of you are looked after should one of you die. Secondly, should you both die together, it’s vital that your estates are bequeathed to the right people.

While you may own everything jointly, it’s vital that you both have Wills to ensure that there is a fair division of assets should one of you die. This is particularly relevant if you both die together, as intestacy rules will consider the younger as having survived the elder. It’s also important to remember that you may not wish to leave all of your belongings to your spouse and may want to pass items to other family members. Having a Will ensures your final wishes are followed.

There are a number of options, but it is worth considering giving your new spouse a lifetime right to benefit from your estate. This ensures that they can remain in your home and receive an income, whilst making sure that your assets are eventually passed to your children.

An executor is a person who is responsible for looking after your assets after your death and ensuring that your final wishes are carried out. You can have up to four executors and they can be trusted friends, family members, or professionals like a solicitor.

If you don’t have a will and you die intestate, your children would legally receive any inheritance when they reach 18. However, in a Will, you stipulate the age you would like them to benefit from their inheritance.

Yes, you can make provisions for future born family members. However, Jarmans also advise covering all possibilities and also choosing beneficiaries should you die without having children.

Yes, you can include this in your will. Alternatively, to save having to regularly rewrite your Will, you can write a letter of wishes which you can leave with your executors.

You can appoint relatives or close friends to act as guardians to your children. These people could also be your executors. We advise that you always discuss this with them before writing your Will.

Property owned abroad will be covered by the laws of that country. We recommend that you make a Will in that country to cover that property. It is important to remember that your English and foreign Wills mustn’t conflict.

In a safe and fireproof place. Jarmans Solicitors have a safe will storage facility should you need it.

Marriage will cancel any pre-existing Will that you hold. However, divorce won’t. With any change in marital circumstances, we recommend drawing up a new Will.

Need help?

We offer legal advice on Wills and Trusts. If you would like to contact us or book a consultation with a member of our team please fill in the ‘Make an Enquiry’ form or call us on: 01795 472 291 or email enquiries@jarmans-solicitors.co.uk


Contact Us


    How We've Helped People

    • Excellent!!

    I contacted Jarmans Solicitors (Supriya) regarding an employment issue. They were professional, knowledgeable and efficient. I felt fully supported and valued throughout a very difficult period. I would throroughly recommend Jarmans Solicitors and would not hesitate to use them again if needed. The service was exceptional. Thank you.

    Omar Behardien Omar Behardien

    • Excellent!!

    ‘’I've been dealing with Jarmans solicitors over a litigation issue to protect my financial interests within a property I bought with a so-called friend which I owned the highest percentage within the property. The solicitor called Jeanine has been very helpful and supportive and advised me I have a very strong case to stop my so-called friend from taking half my house away from me. I am very happy with the work which has been carried out so far. I


    • Excellent!!

    ‘’We first contacted Christopher Kennett in April 2020, regarding a boundary dispute as you can appreciate these things if not dealt with correctly can quickly turn nasty. Christopher came to the site so that he completely understood the situation and was not relying on photographs, which can in some cases be misleading. The personal treatment we have received throughout the last year has been fantastic we rely completely on his advice, and put our complete trust in him to always


    • Excellent!!

    ‘’Great representation in court following road traffic charges - Matt Davis and Jeanine Harry. Very many thanks for your services. Excellent result on the day.’’



    Discover Helpful Articles

    No Fault Divorce

    Traditionally the word 'divorce'  conjures up images of divorcing couples being

    How are debts treated in divorce/ financial

    What are "Hard" and "Soft" debts and how can these effect

    The Two Most Common Questions Asked About

    The law has finally caught up with the times! No-fault divorce

    All You Need To Know About No-Fault

    No-fault Divorce – All you need to know The rules of

    Contact Us

    Get In Touch

    Why not arrange a chat with a team member to discuss your Personal or Commercial legal needs? Do not hesitate to contact Jarmans Solicitors on: 01795 472 291 alternatively fill in the form below and we'll get back to you asap.