enquiries@jarmans-solicitors.co.uk 01795 472 291

What To Do In A Flood - Jarmans Solicitors

What To Do In A Flood

June 21, 2022 jarmans 0 Comments

If you have recently been an unfortunate victim of flooding we thought we’d share a number of useful guides to the law and practical links which could assist you.

The Association of British Insurers has extremely detailed guides on recovering from a flood and how to clear up after you have suffered flooding. Whether you need advice on disposing of flood damaged possessions or information about how to prepare if you have advance warning for a flood, the ABI’s website has every aspect covered. They also provide information on how to find home insurance if you live in a flood prone area.

Additionally, most local authorities have area specific flood advice and you can obtain an information leaflet entitled “Advice to householders of flood affected property”. These should all be available on your local authority website.

The Environment Agency has curated practical advice for local communities, Flood plan guidance for communities and groups, and the National Flood Forum has advice about what to do during a flood which explains how to protect yourself and your family.

If you are a tenant in a rented property that suffers flooding, the Citizen’s Advice Bureau have information on your rental rights and responsibilities and the responsibilities of your landlord.

We would always recommend that if you live in an area that is prone to flooding or is below sea level that forearmed is forewarned. The Flood Warning Information Service has information on flooding and flood warnings and provides the option to sign up for flood warnings in England and Wales.

For businesses your Local Enterprise Partnership will have advice for flooded businesses and the Health and Safety Executive have useful information on how to safely get your business up and running again. The Environment Agency has also published information on how to keep your business afloat if it becomes flooded. Your local business community and chamber of commerce may also have guidance on how your business can weather the storm.

In the farming community there is a relevant form that can be obtained online to apply for the farming recovery fund and the NFU has compiled step by step guidance for its members.

Finally, if you have had any sports events that have been affected Sport England information on how to apply for Lottery funding to repair pitches and facilities.  Club Insure Limited has advice on protecting pitches and how to protect your facilities from flooding.

If you do find that you have any property issues as a result of flooding, please do not hesitate to contact Jarmans for any legal advice or representation that you may need.

leave a comment