There are two different ways in which we charge for uncontested probate matters, both of which will be discussed at our free initial 15 minute consultation with you.
We charge on an hourly rate basis of both the fee-earner and supervising fee-earner dealing with the estate (currently £210-£300 plus VAT at the current rate of 20%) together with a fee of 0.5% of the gross value of the estate. To find out more about our probate services please click here
Time scales can vary heavily as it is dependent on the complexity of the estate. Elements to consider include; property sales, locating asset, locating beneficiaries. Simple probates take an estimated 3-6months for completions. Complex probates can take over a year to resolve.
In addition to the above the following disbursements may also be required and will incur further costs. They may include:
* The Probate Court fee £155, as well as a small additional fee for each official sealed copy of the Grant of Probate; £0.50
* The legal advertising fee; dependant on newspaper and advert size.
* Bankruptcy search fees for all personal representatives and beneficiaries; £2
* HM Land Registry fees vary dependant on value of estate property
* Bank charges £37.50 +VAT (£45.00) per transaction, number of transactions vary by estate.
The key stages of the Probate process include:
Stage 1 – Make contact with relevant asset holders
Stage 2 – Make an application for the grant of probate/letters of administration, this is also when we place advertisements
Stage 3 – Notify all the asset holders and apply for funds
Stage 4 - Distributing the estate to the new owners
Stage 5 – Preparation of the estate accounts
To read in more depth about the key stages of the probate process please read our blog.